Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Navarathri Nostalgia


...Written on the 17th of Oct 2012

They say the world in itself is a big city. It celebrates festivals of all hues. There are more than 10 billion souls cramped in here,but at this time of the year  I feel alone. Its a time of togetherness,bonding....and here in this metropolis all faces seem unfamiliar to me. With whom shall I share my excitement? To whom shall I narrate my loneliness?

Its that time of the year when Godess Durga embarks on her annual vacation, family,friends and pets in tow. A thousand miles away from home,in a land somewhat alien I cant smell the festivities in the air and the drumbeats reverberate in the nostalgic realm...
..Mahalaya, the day of invocation of goddess Durga in her Mahisasurmardini form.,the beginning of the ten days of festivity. Amma you used to wake me up the crack of dawn to listen to Birendra Krishna on All India Radio that was boradcasted in Bengal., saying that it was something that you did listen to growing up .. i made it a point to find it on youtube two days ago to continue with the tradition ( tho it wasnt 4am! )  it feels incomplete without listening to "ya devi sarva butheshu.." not for religious reasons but more for nostalgic ones.

I yearn for the doe-eyed beauties un and easy in crisp sarees and the many visits of Golu,Sundal,the list seems to be endless may be i should start with the padi building and the kalasam placement and the decor that goes with it and now My ears search for the strains of songs in the tongue I called my own.Lets not forget the Aarathi thats taken towards the end of the day.Ohh, the smell of fresh flowers, incense sticks, turmeric...
It is of course a religious occasion, but it's not the gods that I miss, it is the people and the atmosphere. They might celebrate it here, but I don't feel at home. Memories that I'll cherish forever.

Last year, I made myself a promise I'll be home when the drums start to beat. A promise broken, making another.


No comments:

Post a Comment